Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

“Worst Hotel” in Britain Closed for Fire Safety Breaches

The Fiorenzo Cazari on East Parade, Rhyl has been named “the worst hotel in Britain.” It was shut down on the spot after an inspection by fire chiefs and inspectors revealed that people were at risk of being electrocuted. Online reviews have described heaters and TV brackets falling off the walls. One TripAdvisor review stated: “This hotel is dangerous, the fire alarms are blocked off with beer mats and there are trailing wires across doorways.”

The hotel had been warned on several occasions to comply with safety notices before the closure last Friday. A spokesman for Denbighshire council said: “A health and safety inspector of the council has served on the Fiorenzo Cazari hotel in Rhyl, a prohibition notice under the Health and Safety at Work Act due to an unsafe electrical installation. This notice prohibits the use of the premises indefinitely until work is done to satisfy that the electrical installation does not pose a risk of serious injury or fire.”

Dave Roberts, business fire safety compliance manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “When business owners put their staff and guests at risk of harm from fire and fail to improve their safety standards, it is our duty to work with partners to intervene to ensure the highest levels of safety for the public.

“At this property, we found significant fire risk and served a prohibition notice preventing the use of two of the spaces in the property. Denbighshire County Council served a prohibition notice preventing the use of the property as a whole. This is another example of effective partnership working to help protect our communities”.

John Washington, owner of the hotel was jailed for eight months earlier this year for perverting the course of justice. Mr Washington asked a member of staff to take a woman out for a drink to persuade her to drop a sex charge against his brother.

Comments are closed.