Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Hotel Fire – From Five Stars to Flames and Ashes

A horrifying hotel fire broke out in the 16th century, Hambledon House,

Surrey at 9.45am on Wednesday 24 January.

Surrey Fire and Rescue Service were called to extinguish the blaze, which required back up from Hampshire Fire service. A total of eight fire engines, an aerial ladder platform and a water carrier were required to settle the outbreak at the Chiddingfold stately home.

The fire caught quickly and was worsened by high winds according to the owner’s son, Oliver Rhode, who had sadly witnessed the blaze engulf his childhood bedroom.

The out of control fire resulted in two serious casualties who were admitted to a London hospital and an additional person having been trapped in a top floor bathroom, rescued by ladder. Further survivors affected were treated by the ambulance service at the Elizabethan hotel for smoke inhalation.

One woman escaped the hotel fire by scaling the roof to safety. Surrey Search and Rescue were also called to provide an RPAS (drone) to cover aerial footage of the hotel fire.

The blaze continued well into Wednesday night, until late Thursday, while hotspots were monitored until 1 pm. One eyewitness reported that the inferno caused at least 90% worth of damage to the five-star hotel.

It has been reported that the origin of the hotel fire could have been a tumble dryer.

Fortunately, all survived the burning wreckage, including the family-owned dogs, cats and a kitten.

Your hotel and the people under your protection, may not be as lucky. Book in or update your fire risk assessment now, to protect your hotel from the risk of fire. Call us on 0845 402 3045 or email our friendly sales team on , we’re here to make sure your people and property are protected.

Original Sources: Surrey Fire & Rescue| getSURREY | Surrey Search & Rescue | Mirror

, , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.