Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Flat Fire in Dorset Causes Full Block Evacuation

A flat fire occurred on April 22 after around 7:30 pm in the

Dorset area of Bournemouth.

The flat fire which caused a complete residential evacuation occurred on the top floor of a block of flats on Commercial Road.

The flat which sourced the fire was on the top floor and was home to a father and his daughter of two years. After attempted efforts to extinguish the fire with an extinguisher, the residents then fled the building. Thankfully, nobody was injured.

Thanks to the use of fire doors, the fire was confined to the one flat. After the fire services’ best efforts using breathing apparatus and an aerial ladder, the flat fire was successfully extinguished. However, the affected flat and its contents have been completely devastated.

A total of sixty firefighters from nine different stations attended the flat fire. Subsequently, the seriousness of fire caused the need for residents to be relocated to overnight shelters.

Originally fire services did not know how the fire began. However, it was stated that the fire broke out at the time of lightning storms hitting the area. Further investigations have since divulged that the source of the fire was ignited accidentally, by an oil pan.

A spokesperson from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service, Stuart Granger said:

“The occupier was cooking and the frying pan of oil he was using ignited.

“The fire was accidental. The cooking was not left unattended.”

Although extinguishers for flats are a must, sprinklers can also be fitted retrospectively. Therefore, for more information on sprinklers and the latest in innovative fire extinguishers, call our experts on 0845 402 3045 or email sales@assured-ltd.co.uk to book a fire risk assessment now!

Original Source: BBC News

, , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.