A routine visit from Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service revealed a care home used by Almondsbury Care Ltd had a number of breaches of fire safety regulations. The inspection by fire officers led to a six-figure bill.
The building was used as accommodation for employees working in the Hillview Nursing Home. The fire safety breaches included; a faulty fire alarm, inadequate emergency lighting and blocked fire escape routes.
The district judge David Taylor, stated that the property had a whole range of failures that should have been “abundantly obvious to anyone who chose to think about it.”
The care home failed to make a proper assessment and their own risk assessment identified clear deficiencies which they chose to ignore. The business allowed people to stay in a premises which they were aware could pose the risk of serious injury or death.
Paul Bray, the business safety manager for the fire service said: “It was extremely fortunate that a fire did not occur at these premises. Almondsbury Care Ltd would have been well aware of the need to implement suitable fire safety measures yet failed to ensure the safety of those working for the company.
“The severity of the fines imposed (£100,000) by the court gives out a clear message to those who have control of a premises and show a disregard for the law and those they have a duty to protect.”