A Care Quality Commission (CQC) report identified “serious concerns for residents” at the Birdsgrove Care Home in Bracknell. The report found numerous fire safety failings including:
- Broken emergency lights and dimly lit rooms creating a serious risk for those with visual impairments.
- The property was unclean with a build-up of dust grease and grime.
- A Fire Risk Assessment was conducted but made no reference to how less able people would be managed safely in the event of a fire.
- The fire exit doors were installed with energised magnets which did not release when the fire alarm was activated. Also, staff were unsure of how to override this in the case of an emergency.
- Staff did not know who the fire marshals were.
Rebecca Bauers, head of inspection for adult social care said: “From the risks identified in all of our inspections we had no other choice but to take action to prevent Birdsgrove Nursing Home providing inadequate care. Therefore, the care home has since been closed.”
Assured Can Help
Don’t fall foul of the law, for more details on Fire Risk Assessments available for your business, contact our friendly team on 0845 402 3045. Alternatively, please click here for more information.