Foam Deluge Fire Suppression
Mainly used on large applications where water or gas cannot be used. These tend to be external such as transformers, oil tanks and oil storage silo’s.
A simple sprinkler open deluge type application with the heads (usually open) spread around the risk, a foam concentrate is mixed with the water to provide the typical expanding agent (the same as with extinguishers).
Will need a large amount of fabrication work to support the pipe work, valves and heads to and around the risk.
- Good for external areas.
- Covers large areas.
- Protects flammables liquids – airports, aircraft hangers, oil storage.
- Wet agent so electrical risk needs to be considered.
- Messy – clean up required.
- Same disadvantages as sprinklers for water and pump supplies, although because of the expanding effects of foam this sometimes means not as much water is required.
- Machine Spaces
- Switch rooms
- Generators (Local app)
- Fuel Stores
- Aircraft Hangars
- Storage silos
- Machines/process that are outdoors