In todays’ modern world security cameras are everywhere. From protecting company premises at night to being monitored during shopping trips, cameras have a place in our everyday lives whether you like it or not. Here are a few facts about CCTV cameras we bet you never knew:
- It was recorded at the end of 2014 that there were 25 million professionally installed CCTV cameras operating worldwide, with 5 million of those in the UK.
- If you live in a major city, you are likely to be caught on CCTV approximately 300 times a day.
- CCTV has been around for longer than we may imagine. Security cameras have been available since 1942, and in use since the 1960s.
- 99% of cash machines in the world use CCTV cameras to record when you make your transaction. You have probably never noticed these because they can be so tiny their lenses are the size of pinholes.
- The British Security Industry Association (BSIA) estimated that in the UK we have approximately 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people, this is the highest concentration of CCTV cameras per head in the world.
- The UK Home Office states that for an identification by CCTV to pass in court it has to be full HD (1080P).
- The iconic department store Harrods in London who cater for the super-rich has over 500 CCTV cameras installed to protect the premises.
- Singapore Airport has the largest single building security system in the World with a total of 3,453 CCTV cameras.
- Many people predict that by 2020 drones will take over all CCTV surveillance and cameras attached to buildings will be a thing of the past.
- In 2014 Tesco trialled the use of the worlds first age and sex recognition CCTV cameras to deliver targeted ads to people via TV screen billboards.
Does your business need CCTV installing or upgrading? To arrange a free consultation why not give us a call on 0845 402 3045 and we’ll be happy to help.
Alternatively, for more information on the types of CCTV systems suitable for your business why not download our free CCTV buyers guide.