In 2012, The Chumleigh Lodge Hotel received a massive fine of £210,000 for fire safety breaches. The manager and sole director of the hotel had denied 12 charges of neglecting fire safety laws under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 but was found guilty at Blackfriars Crown Court.
Fire safety breaches included:
- Faulty fire doors
- Lack of smoke alarms in some of the guest rooms
- Inaccessible escape routes
- Lack of staff fire safety training to an appropriate standard
- No evidence of a suitable fire risk assessment
A fine of that size can have huge implications on a business, damaging business reputation and potentially leading to the closure of the business.
If The Chumleigh Lodge Hotel was compliant with fire safety laws then they wouldn’t have been hit with the huge fine. Here’s what they could have bought with £210,000 instead.
- Three brand new high-spec Mercedes E-Class limousines to whisk your guests wherever they desire. With the finest interiors and exceptional technology, the E-Class will provide your guests with the ultimate VIP experience.
- Four top class butlers to tend to your guests’ every need. With the demanding needs of your guests, a butler would ensure their stay with you went seamlessly.
- 230 luxurious Hungarian goose feather duvets to keep your guests snug. Costing almost £1000 each, these duvets would provide your guests with the ultimate in lavish slumber.
- 1200 bottles of Louis Roederer Cristal 2005 Vintage champagne. Enough to bestow one on every guest for a year?
Whilst these options would be a luxury, you don’t need us to tell you how to better spend your money. We are, however, experts in fire safety and making sure you don’t fall foul of the law.
Are you unsure if your business is compliant with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order? Why not give us a call on 0845 402 3045 and we can provide a free comprehensive site survey.