Landlord fire safety was not at the top of this landlords list when he was charged a hefty fine for various House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) regulation breaches. David Greene, a landlord for over 30 years was warned and subsequently fined for his failings. Landlord to the ten, self-contained flats in question, he was charged a whopping £37,000 as a result of his fire safety breaches. Would you be ready to fork out for the fine? [Read on…]
Therefore, if you don’t want your HMO premises to be at risk of breach or more importantly, putting the lives of residents at risk, then follow our…
5 point landlord fire safety checklist:
- Do you have an FRA or have you check it’s up to date?
- Your HMO fire risk assessment should be updated if any significant changes to the premises have been made.
- The alarms should be tested regularly and is recommended at least once a week.
- The maintenance of a fire alarm is imperative to the fire alarm keeping function. It should be serviced at least every 6 months.
- Fire extinguishers come for all different types of fire and one size doesn’t fit all.
- An escape plan for residents should be established to ensure that in the event of a fire, residents can evacuate the premises as quickly as possible. Continuous checks should also be made to ensure escape routes are not blocked and residents can escape.
- If there is a fire day or night, smoke will fill the air making it incredibly difficult to see. With emergency lighting, residents are better able to navigate your established escape routes.
5. Fire doors
- Are they blocked? And are regular checks being made to ensure the fire doors are fitted corrected and actual function as they are designed to?
- Fire doors are designed to keep fire out, therefore, this means they need to be kept closed in the event of a fire.
If you need to make improvements to your Landlord Fire Safety Check List, then get in touch now! It’s our job to ensure your houses of multiple occupancies’ are fire safe. So call us today on 0845 402 3045 or email email@example.com